Total Pageviews

Friday, October 3, 2014

DIY Chalkboard by mommybakesnj


I have been looking to do a chalkboard for a long time. My main concern was where would I create this space and how big was I looking to go. I finally made up my mind and decide that door in our family room was the perfect place. 


I had debated whether to do the entire door, half or just middle. Finally after outlining the designs I decided that the middle was the best choice.

Supplies:
1 quart Rust-Oleum Magnetic Primer
1quart Valspar Chalkboard Paint (black)
Measuring tape
Paint tape
Any decor to enhance your board
I started by measuring the door and making sure it was centered. It took me several attempts to place the paint tape on, for some reason it kept lining up crooked.
Once the tape was placed correctly I started by adding my primer to the door. (Let it dry completely before next step)
After the primer dried I painted the door with the Valspar Chalkboard paint.

As I let it dry I knew I wanted to make it playful and cute so I decided to add butterflies for each of my kids and a bow.
If you have stencils at home or if your a great artist now is the time to put your creativity to work. 

You can spray paint it on or just use regular paint for decor. I also added my handmade bow made out of burlap to tie the design together. I finished this project in one day surprisingly. I had fun creating a new space for my little ones. I was also very fortunate to have a great find whom donated her paint to help me finish my little project. 

Stay tuned for my next home project ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment