Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Harry Potter Book Cake Tutorial














I made a Harry Potter Book Cake for my nephew about 6 months ago and I had  promised to share with you all a quick tutorial. Please read below some simple steps to making your own book cake.

Materials:
Cake Mix (you can buy the premade box or do it from scratch)
Icing (I used butter cream)
Fondant
Food Dye
Dough Roller
Pizza Cutter or knife
Parchment Paper
Fondant Cutting Tools (Optional)



I baked the cake on a half sheet pan and let it cool before icing it completely with buttercream. After placing the icing I put it back in the fridge to keep it cool.

I worked on the edges of the book with white fondant. I cut a long, thick strip to replicate the pages in a book.

Next I used blue food dye to change the color of the white fondant I had (you can also just purchase blue fondant). Make sure to prep enough fondant so you do not run out. You want to have the color consistent and by not having enough fondant you run the possibility of having the second batch a bit off.

Once you have dyed your fondant roll it out and cut the amount you'd like with a pizza cutter or knife. Once rolled out use your dough roller to roll the fondant back (this trick will help with placing the fondant on the book cake).

I used a small blue strip to for the bottom of the book and to make the book look used I trimmed the edges.

Next roll a long, thin piece of fondant to cover the top left end of the book (as shown above).


As I mentioned before I was going to be making a Harry Potter themed book cake with that being said I had to make a few accessories to make it pop more. Make 3 small balls of fondant (yellow, red and black). To make the scarf I used red and yellow fondant. I rolled out the red fondant and cut off the sides and length to match the cake. I then cut 6 small rectangular pieces of yellow fondant and carefully placed it onto the red cut out fondant. I fringed the last portion of the red fondant to make it look like Harry Potter's scarf.

For the talking witch hat I rolled out a small amount of black fondant in the shape of small circle then I worked on rolling the top portion of the hat. Once I achieved the shape I wanted (as shown above) I used a sharp small knife to make the eyes and mouth. I also made glasses, small broom stick and mini version of Harry Potter out of fondant.

Placing the cool accessories was my favorite part of making this cake. You can decorate how ever you would like. My nephew I had selected the type of cake he wanted so I used that photo he gave me as a guide to decorating his birthday cake.

 
I was very happy with the final results. Any feedback is greatly appreciated ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment